Thank you to Deborah Shelby of Prayerful Mom for this recognition. I have to admit, I hadn’t heard about the Liebster Award until Deborah nominated me and I am honored to accept.
Deborah and I connected through Top Mommy Blogs and she graciously allowed me to guest post on her blog about 10 Tips to Teach Kids About Volunteerism.
I am thrilled to accept this Liebster Award nomination for Mother’s Circle. The spirit of the Liebster is to introduce my readers to other bloggers and in the tag-you’re-it style, I had to answer some fun questions from Deborah, tell 11 things about myself, and choose other bloggers to nominate, and give them my own questions to answer.
So here goes!
11 Things About Me
1. I speak French, I loved it through school and continued in college. When I lived in Bordeaux one summer, I started dreaming in French and forgetting English words when I called home. French opened the door to amazing opportunities for friendship and learning in my life. Click to read about my French Friendships.
2. Since I didn’t want to give up studying French in college, I added it as a third major. I get teased about that every time someone learns I graduated with three majors. Typical over-achiever.
3. Continuing on that theme, my whole life, people have teased me. I learned to laugh at myself young. Still, whenever friends from different parts of my life get together, I end up the butt of the jokes. It’s unifying!
4. I love the beach. Toes in the sand, sun beating down, salt on my skin.
5. After giving up tennis as a kid because I looked more like a ballerina than an athlete, I started playing as an adult about seven years ago and I am absolutely hooked. I love to play and to watch!
6. I’m married to my best friend for 20+ years. I couldn’t be luckier. The story of how we met is unique: I moved in with him and his roommate as strangers to fill a vacant room for a month. We started dating after I moved out, but were engaged only three months after our first date, only six months after first meeting.
7. No surprise here, but my three kiddos are the center of my world, the beating of my heart. I could not feel more blessed and grateful!
9. We have a pet bird, a cockatiel. Anna is always saying with awe, “It is so cool that we have a bird.” And I agree! Piper is so snuggly, sweet, and what other kind of pet can say, “I love you” and a host of other calls and songs?
10. I love flowers. Gardening and cutting flowers for inside make me so happy, I try to have flowers or flowering plants in the house year round.
11. I can only drink decaf. I’m not a big coffee drinker, but I do love the smell and the experience of sipping a hot cup, but give me a fully loaded cup of caffeine and I’ll be buzzing, talking faster than usual, and on overdrive for days! A morning cup of coffee can actually keep me up at night I’m so sensitive to it. No triple shot espresso’s for me. This, incidentally, is also something that friends tease me about.
Here are my questions from Deborah:
Q. If you couldn’t be yourself, but you had to live someone else’s life, whose would you choose it to be?
A. This is such a tough question for me because I love my life and am happy being me. I’ve been pondering this and as much as I want to play along, I cannot think of anyone! A famous tennis player or author, maybe, Oprah, with her influence and ability to give and give, but everyone has their struggles and pains to go through along the way to their successes, and I’ll just keep mine, my life’s been pretty great.
Q. Are most of your goals wants or needs? Name one.
A. Wants for sure. I have the luxury of being able to pursue my lifelong goal of writing and have consciously reprioritized my life over the last three years or so to be able to write more. Loving it! It’s a want – but in some ways, writing also feels like a need.
Q. If money were not an object, would you prefer to be a stay-at-home mom or have a career outside the home?
A. Hmmm, both. I’ve been a stay-at-home mom for sixteen years and I loved it and wouldn’t trade that time for anything. During those years, I was available for my kids but have also run a doula and birth/parenting education business, founded a non-profit, wrote a book, and volunteered countless hours like so many moms do, but it was all on my own time schedule. I have just started a new job outside the home. It’s returning to event planning, a job I loved before leaving for babies, and I’m thrilled and excited to be jumping back in. So the answer is kind of BOTH!
Q. What is your favorite charity or cause?
A. The Kampala Children’s Centre for Hope and Wellness – click to read all about this project near and dear to me.
Q. When you think back to your childhood dreams for your adult life, did any of them turn out like you imagined?
A. Being a mom was tops on my list and I’m living the dream. Writing was another constant growing up, and I’m forging ahead on that front, too, after life took me in different directions for awhile.
Q. Would you rather live in a house just a little too small, but always have cash for all the incidental things that come up? Or would you rather live in a large and spacious home, but money would always be tight?
A. ACK – I hate debt, so the former, for sure. Cozy and debt-free, though those wants and desires for more are always lurking, tugging, and tempting!
Q. What character trait do you like best about yourself?
A. I’m sensitive and feel deeply which I think is what makes me thoughtful and empathetic. (And seriously tearful at times, another point of getting teased!)
Q. What is the most important lesson you hope your children take away from what you have taught them?
A. Love yourself. Everything stems from self-love, then you can give of yourself to others wholly and generously. You can accomplish anything with the confidence that self-love inspires. Love and value yourself.
Q. What is your favorite activity?
Q. Where would you go on your dream vacation?
A. Oh so many places to choose from. My dream vacation would be with my family and I think I’d pick somewhere I haven’t been though a ton of favorite places around the world are popping to mind. Right now, maybe a cruise through Alaska, I also really want to do an African safari. Better keep saving …
Q. What is your favorite holiday?
A. CHRISTMAS by far! I love family being together, attending church all season and especially on Christmas Eve wishing our church family a Merry Christmas. I love the season, the giving, the generosities, the spirit of community and kindness. I love writing cards with notes, reaching out to friends, I love selecting and wrapping the perfect presents and having the house decorated, the tree glowing with white lights. I love our Christmas elves and the kids faces in the morning, I love a leisurely breakfast and lingering together, stepping over piles of wrapping paper. Oh, I’m getting excited just thinking about Christmas!
My Nominees for the Liebster Award
Questions for My Nominees
Q: Why did you start your blog?
Q: What’s the best thing that’s ever happened to you?
Q: What is a piece of advice you’d like to share?
Q: What did you want to be when you grew up? Are you doing it? Would you still want to?
Q: What’s your biggest fear?
Q: Who is your hero? Why?
Q: If you won a million dollars, what would you do with it?
Q: What do you value most in life?
Q: What are you really really good at?
Recap for Liebster Award Nominees
I hope all my nominees will accept the Liebster Award. Remember that to accept the award, you must do all of the following:
- Thank and link back to the person’s blog who nominated you.
- Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
- Answer the questions from the person who nominated you.
- Create 11 new questions for those you nominate.
- Nominate 5-11 of your favorite bloggers and link them in your post.
- Contact them from their blog page and tell them.
Thanks again Deborah of Prayerful Mom for nominating me for a Liebster Award!
And I thank you, dear reader, for visiting my site. I’d love it if you’d leave a comment.
I’d also be very grateful if you’d click the banner below to vote for me. (Only once per 24 hours will count.) It can help my site’s rank at the greatest blog directory ever. Thank you!
© Copyright Leah DeCesare 2014