Welcome! I am Leah DeCesare, owner of Mother’s Circle, LLC, parenting and novel writer, blogging about the adventures of everyday family life.
Since my work focus for the last thirteen years has been pregnancy and babies and my home focus is about my three kiddos (elementary school-aged through teens), I write about parenting on the continuum from the earliest parenting decisions to navigating the toddler and teens years – and everything in between.
Please like Mother’s Circle, LLC on Facebook or follow my blog via email to be encouraged and uplifted as a Mom. Everyone parents in her own way, but we all need tools, tips, ideas, motivation, creativity and advice on ways to handle everything that comes our way as Moms. Join in the discussion and feel free to ask me a Dear Leah parenting question.
Professionally, after receiving a BS with a triple major in Advertising, Marketing and French from Syracuse University, I worked in buying, special event planning and PR in New York City until our first child was born. Her birth and the new Mom’s group I belonged to planted the seed that changed my career path. Since 2002, I have earned certifications as a Birth Doula, Postpartum Doula, Childbirth Educator, Postnatal Educator and Lactation Counselor.
I am married (19 years) and the mother of three spirited and happy children. I feel privileged to serve women and families during the special and challenging time of adding a new baby to the family. Motherhood and parenthood are transformative and personal journeys and my goal is to help you as you develop and adapt your own parenting style, whether as your doula, or as I write for you via my blog.
I love learning – especially about birth, babies and breastfeeding! Through Mother’s Circle doula and education services and my writing, I am happy to support your family through this life-changing time of pregnancy, birth and postpartum. With three children of my own, school-aged through teenager, I marvel at the front row seats we have to witness human growth and development.
As mothers and parents, we need to adapt, change and grow along with our children, it’s a dynamic and often challenging process; it’s an odyssey that, once we become a parent, doesn’t end. Exploring ourselves as we find balance and figure out how to best parent each of our kiddos is an ongoing adventure!
I maintain professional memberships with DONA International, International Childbirth Education Association (ICEA), and Rhode Island Birth Network (RIBN). I am co-founder and co-president of the statewide professional doula network, Doulas of Rhode Island (DoRI) and I served as the Northeast Regional Director for DONA International. My local volunteer activities include working with my children’s schools and with Families First Rhode Island as well as serving on the boards of Kappa Kappa Gamma Alumnae Association of Rhode Island and at our church. I love practicing yoga, gardening, playing tennis, traveling and reading. I also love writing and am proud to have two articles published in the International Doula journal.
Education and Training – Leah DeCesare
Syracuse University, BS, Advertising, Marketing and French
- The Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice, Inc. (ALPP) – Certified Lactation Counselor, December 2010
- DONA International Certified Birth Doula, February 2010
- DONA International Certified Postpartum Doula, June 2008
- International Childbirth Educators Association (ICEA) Certified Postnatal Educator, October 2006
- Dancing Thru Pregnancy® Certified Pre/Postnatal Fitness Instructor/Trainer, April 2003
- Academy of Certified Birth Educators Certified Childbirth Educator, September 2002
- DONA International Conference, July 2012
- DONA Birth Doula Training, second time taking the 27 hour workshop, June 2012
- Partners in Perinatal Health Conference, May 2012
- Boot Camp for Birth Visionaries with Karen Brody, May 2012
- Nursing Mother’s Council 2012 Breastfeeding Conference, March 2012
- Kids and Sleep, Teens and Sleep, Sleep Development, Women & Infants Hospital, January 2011
- Rhode Island Birth Network Sleep Panel Discussion, April 2011
- Teaching Tools for Inspiring Women to Trust Their Birth Process, December 2011
- DONA International Conference, July 2011
- Partners in Perinatal Health Conference, May 2011
- Compassionate Caregiving When a Baby Dies, October 2010
- Current Obstetric Practices and Procedures, September 2010
- Partners in Perinatal Health Conference, May 2010
- Baby-Led Breastfeeding: From Theory to Practice, September 2009
- DONA International Birth Doula Workshop, September 2009
- New Breastfeeding Skills for the 21st Century, August 2009
- Partners in Perinatal Health Conference, May 2009
- Boston Association for Childbirth Education, The Basics of Breastfeeding, February 2009
- American Association of Birth Centers Annual Birth Institute: What is Optimal?, September 2008
- How to Start a Birth Center Workshop, September 2008
- Partners in Perinatal Health Conference, May 2008
- Emotionally Charged Issues in Obstetric Care, April 2008
- High Risk Obstetrics: Current Trends, Treatments & Issues, October 2007
- American Heart Association, CPR Certification Course, September 2007, recertified March 2012
- DONA International Postpartum Doula Workshop, June 2007
- ICEA International Convention, October 2006
- ICEA Postnatal Educator Training Workshop, October 2003
- ICEA International Convention, October 2003
- Birth and Beginnings Education, September 2002